Wednesday, February 12, 2014

for the sake of Christ

I'm constantly blown away by the faith of the people we work with on a daily basis. We hear and see a lot of heartache doing what we do. On Friday mornings we always come together as Life Skill Educators to talk about the week and plan for the week ahead. The moods of the morning change week to week. Some Fridays I can tell that the week has been wonderful and gone smoothly. Other times you can see the pain and burden that each of the faces in the room are carrying from the week past. As we sit around the tables and share stories and hear the hearts of those we do life with, I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to know them.

We were asked on Friday to write down why we are Life Skill Educators. As I sat there thinking back on my past 17 months here it was clear to me why I am here doing what I do. There are many reasons why I love being in Red Hill. Being a LSE isn't an easy job. It can be emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually draining at times. At the end of the day though, I can look back and see the joy that was on our children's faces. The joy that comes with a hug, a conversation, or taking time to simply be there and spend time with them. At the end of the day we can look back and see that Christ name was lifted high and they are hearing how much they are loved and cared for. It is such a blessing getting to work alongside the life skill educators in all the communities. They are truly ambassadors of Christ on the battlefield, making sure the name of Christ is magnified week after week. "Therefore we are ambassadors of christ, God making his appeal through us. we implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 My life has been blessed more then I could have ever imagined. They all inspire me to be more like Christ everyday. I think thats one of the things I'll miss the most when we go home in May. Walking through life with these beautiful people that we call brothers and sisters.

Nathan had to answer the same question as to why he is a life skill educator. He answered, "To be able to reach kids and teens for the Lord is a large task, especially for a white American. To many kids, they see dollar signs and jungle gyms. But the reason I am an LSE is because I believe every child deserves to feel love, appreciated, and valued. To be able to be intentional with kids, show them God loves them and that they are of worth. Not every child grows up knowing the love of God, and my heart pulses to make every child and teen I see experience the love of our Father. My prayer and hope is that not one child could say that they don't feel valued when they are at club."

As I read through everyones answer to this question from Friday tears fill my eyes. Tears of thankfulness and joy. Tears that know no matter how hard life is for them individually, they are always putting the needs of these kids, teens, and parents before themselves. That is love. That is being filled with the joy of the Lord. They are a big reason why Nathan and I love what we get to do week after week.
Days can be long. Days can be hot. Days can be stressful. Days can be draining...BUT... Our days are blessed. Our days are full of smiles. Our days are intentional. Our days are beautiful.

"And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ." Philemon 1:6


No comments:

Post a Comment