Monday, June 23, 2014

ASD - A hole in your heart

When I was 8 years old, I remember sitting in Lewis Lane Baptist Church's auditorium watching my parents in a play, Dr. Newhart.  My mom was one of the nurses at the fictional hospital and my dad played the part of a patient.   As I remember it, my dad's character had been diagnosed with a hole in his heart.  There was only one thing that could fill that hole in his heart, and that was Jesus.

Classic.

Fast forward 19 years, and I'm sitting in a hospital room next my warrior of a wife, Claudia, who is recovering from an operation to fix her Atrial Septic Defect, a hole in her heart.  (She's been an absolute CHAMP by the way).  The surgeons threaded a tube up a vein in her groin into her heart and an umbrella-type of device was positioned and secured over the hole.  Everything with the surgery went well and in an hour she'll be able to move around go to the bathroom on her own.  Tomorrow morning, she'll have a transesophageal echo (TEE) in the morning to look at how the shunt is holding up and assuming there's no complications, we'll be on our way home, hopefully before lunchtime.

My heart is literally overflowing from all the encouraging words and support from you all.  From Claudia and I, thank you so much.  We'll update you again tomorrow once we find out the results of the echogram tomorrow morning.  Thanks again.  My cup is literally full.

Nathan

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you both and wishing Claudia a speedy recovery. If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete